Commitment to Community
North Shore Medical Center (NSMC) has a long-standing commitment to the health and vitality of our North Shore communities. After Union Hospital joined NSMC in 1997, the scope of that commitment extended to include the city of Lynn and surrounding neighborhoods. In 1998, in recognition of this expanded mission, the Board of Trustees of NSMC incorporated the Community Benefit Program, further focusing its efforts to work with residents and organizations within NSMC’s service area to achieve and sustain measurable improvements in the population’s health status, with a particular focus on the underserved.
Community Benefit Program
The Community Benefit Program collaborates with community stakeholders to enhance existing programs and develop new programs to respond to the health care needs of priority populations. Communities served include Danvers, Lynn, Marblehead, Nahant, Peabody, Salem and Swampscott. The process we use to identify the health needs of each of these communities includes:
- An annual review of health status indicators from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health
- Ongoing participation in the regional Department of Public Health Community Health Network Area
- Ongoing consultation and collaboration with community providers, advocacy groups and local agencies in each of the cities and towns in the service area
Community Affairs and Health Access Committee
The Community Affairs and Health Access Committee of the NSMC Board was established in 2004 to strengthen long-standing community relationships and build others by integrating them into the medical center’s formal governance structure. It also provides Community Benefit and Community Affairs activities with Board level oversight.
The Committee meets quarterly and closely follows an annual schedule of responsibilities which includes:
- Review of annual health status indicators and establishment of annual community benefit priorities
- Review of annual community benefit budget
- Preparation and presentation of annual reports
- Assessment of progress in meeting established priorities