North Shore Medical Center is among the nation’s top 50 hospitals for cardiothoracic surgery.
Patients on Boston’s North Shore requiring cardiothoracic surgery find world-class cardiothoracic surgeons at North Shore Medical Center (NSMC). With multiple hospitals, urgent care sites and physician offices throughout the North Shore, NSMC is the area’s largest healthcare provider. A member of Partners HealthCare, NSMC offers access to some of the world’s most talented sub-specialists through clinical collaborations with Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
Cardiothoracic surgery treats conditions affecting the heart, lungs, and other organs in the chest. Patients undergo cardiothoracic surgery through the NSMC Heart Center in Salem.
Cardiothoracic surgery includes:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Coronary artery bypass grafting, including off-pump/beating heart surgery, arterial grafts, and endoscopic vein/artery harvesting
- Cardiac valve surgery
- Operations to address heart failure
- Operations to repair trauma to the heart and/or great vessels
- Valve repair or replacement of mechanical bioprosthetic valves
- Aneurysm repair, including aortic replacement/repair and ventricular aneurysm repair
- Maze procedure
- Resection of cardiac tumors
- Repair of congenital heart defects
Cardiothoracic surgery may also include:
- Surgery for thoracic trauma
- Lung cancer surgery
- Treatment for respiratory failure
- Removal of thoracic cysts
- Surgery for esophageal cancer
- Thoracic outlet syndrome surgery
- Treatment for benign esophageal diseases
- Removal of mediastinal tumors
- Surgery for congenital anomalies of the chest
- Surgery for pleural diseases
- Treatment of chest wall tumors
- Hyperhidrosis treatment
Collaborations with other cardiothoracic surgery departments
NSMC cardiothoracic surgery patients receive state-of-the-art care. Cardiothoracic surgeons at the NSMC Heart Center hold joint appointments at Massachusetts General Hospital and NSMC and collaborate with Massachusetts General Hospital cardiothoracic specialists. They also work with medical and radiation oncology specialists at the Mass General/North Shore Cancer Center to provide comprehensive coordinated care for cancer patients.
How to find a cardiothoracic surgery physician.
Patients in need of cardiothoracic surgery may seek referrals to NSMC surgeons through their primary care physician.
Patients may also use Find a Doctor
to locate and contact a cardiothoracic surgeon
, as well as other specialists, for example a physician who treats thoracic outlet syndrome
or a surgeon who performs gastric sleeve surgery