News & Updates
Read Northshore Magazine's February 2017 article for a better look at how we plan to take local healthcare into the 21st century.
July 14, 2016
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) has approved NSMC’s expansion plans in Salem, including a new emergency department, two new inpatient floors and a new front entrance, as well as the renovation of the former Spaulding North Shore building to house four floors of inpatient mental health beds. This is the next step in NSMC’s vision to transform the way care is delivered on the North Shore.
The key elements of the plan include:
- Consolidating NSMC hospital-based medical, surgical and behavioral health services on one campus at Salem Hospital and expanding and improving that facility to serve the needs of the North Shore region. All inpatient services currently based at NSMC’s Union Hospital Campus will be consolidated at Salem Hospital once construction is complete in approximately three to four years.
- Converting the former Spaulding Hospital North Shore, located on the campus of NSMC Salem Hospital, to a 120-bed Center of Excellence in Behavioral Health that will be directly aligned with Massachusetts General Hospital and add nearly 60 new beds to the region for psychiatry and behavioral health care.
- Expanding community-based outpatient primary, specialty, urgent care and behavioral health services throughout the North Shore at North Shore Physicians Group (NSPG) offices, and in collaboration with the Lynn Community Health Center and North Shore Community Health, Inc.
The approval includes several conditions which NSMC fully supports, including expanding representation its Board of Trustees to better reflect the communities served; continued work with the Lynn community and leadership to address emergency and urgent care needs in that region; and an agreement to provide regular reports to the state on the progress of the plan.
Construction is expected to begin in the Fall of 2016 and be completed in late 2019.
NSMC Takes Building Plans to Salem Planning Board
May 19, 2016
North Shore Medical Center (NSMC) will share construction details and project renderings with the City of Salem this week, as the Medical Center moves forward with its plan to improve care and expand services on the North Shore. The plan, which is still pending final approval, includes significant construction on the Salem Hospital campus to accommodate key services that will be consolidated from Union Hospital in Lynn. In addition, NSMC will be expanding outpatient services across the region and partnering with community health organizations to serve the health needs of local residents. Until construction is completed in approximately three years, both Salem and Union hospitals will remain operational. Final approval of the plan is still pending with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
NSMC is scheduled to present its construction plans to the Salem Planning Board on Thursday, May 19. Key elements include:
- 118,000 square feet of new space
- A new 64,000 square foot Emergency Department serving adults and children
- 55 private patient bays (including three trauma bays)
- 10 observation bays
- Dedicated pediatric emergency care space
- Dedicated space for mental health patients
- Two state-of-the-art 24-bed medical/surgical inpatient floors
- Spacious private rooms
- Six rooms dedicated to cancer patients and their families
The plan also outlines renovations to the former Spaulding North Shore site, located at Salem Hospital, to create a new Center of Excellence in Psychiatry and Behavioral Health. The renovations will significantly increase the number of inpatient mental health beds on the North Shore. Once completed, the center will offer 120 beds to serve pediatric, adult and senior mental health patients, as well as a robust outpatient service for local families.
The majority of construction will take place on the Jefferson Avenue side of NSMC Salem Hospital, where the emergency entrance will be relocated. At the front of the hospital, near Highland Avenue, significant improvements will be made to facilitate way finding and provide a more welcoming and efficient patient experience. A new main entrance and lobby will be constructed to include:
- Easy access for patient drop-off and pick-up
- Valet parking
- Information desk
- Gift shop
- Outdoor terrace with seating
In addition, a new drive will be added to the campus behind the current Spaulding building to ease circulation around the campus and minimize traffic on nearby roadways
Ongoing planning in Lynn
While construction planning gets underway in Salem, NSMC and Partners HealthCare continue to work with Lynn and surrounding community leaders to ensure that the long-term emergency and urgent care needs of NSMC patients are met following the discontinuation of services at the Union campus in Lynn.
Continued investment in community health
NSMC’s plan also includes continued investments in community health that builds on years of collaboration with community organizations, the Lynn Community Health Center and the North Shore Community Health, Inc., to increase access to a spectrum of care. In addition to providing support for vulnerable populations, NSMC is collaborating to address obesity, addiction and teen pregnancy in local communities.