Child Life Services
MassGeneral for Children at North Shore Medical Center is dedicated to creating a comfortable, therapeutic and family-centered environment. Our Child Life specialist is available during peak hours to help explain treatments to children and adolescents. Our goal is to decrease anxiety and foster positive coping skills. Through medical preparation and procedural support our youngest patients gain a sense of mastery over their health care experiences.
Child Life Specialists
Child Life specialists are trained professionals who work with children in medical settings. They hold bachelor's or master's degrees in child life, child development, special education, or recreation therapy. They help our youngest patients in a variety of ways:
- Help children prepare for medical procedures and assist with their recovery afterward.
- Help a child use play as a means for self-expression, natural creativity, problem solving, and mastery of new skills.
- Arrange for tutoring services for children who need to miss school.
- Arrange for visits from our pet therapy dog
- Give tours and information before your child comes to stay in the hospital.
- Provide sibling support
- Provide Emergency Room assistance
- Provide consultation about developmental and psycho-social issues to the health care team.