Tomosynthesis mammography can result in earlier detection of breast cancer.
Tomosynthesis mammography, or 3D mammography, is an innovative new imaging technique that enables doctors to detect and treat breast cancer more effectively. A breakthrough diagnostic tool, tomosynthesis mammography offers breast health medical professionals a clearer view of the breast and allows them to more easily pinpoint the location, shape and size of abnormalities. Tomosynthesis mammography was pioneered by specialists at Massachusetts General Hospital and is available to patients on Boston’s North Shore through the Breast Health Center program.
Tomosynthesis mammography provides a better view of breast tissue by combining images from multiple angles to produce a three dimensional rendering of the entire breast.
Conventional 2D mammography produces only a flattened image of the breast from a single perspective, making it more difficult for doctors to detect small cancers hidden beneath overlapping breast tissue.
With digital breast tomosynthesis
mammography, breast radiologists can manipulate the images to look at areas of concern from a variety of angles.
Tomosynthesis mammography advances breast cancer detection.
Tomosynthesis mammography offers many advantages for patients and the doctors treating them, including:
- Improved accuracy in determining the size, shape and location of abnormalities
- Earlier detection of small breast cancers that 2D mammography may not find
- Improved detection of multiple breast tumors, which occur in 15% of breast cancer patients
- Reduction in the number of unnecessary biopsies and additional tests
Other services available from the Breast Health Center.
In addition to tomosynthesis mammography, the Breast Health Center provides a full spectrum of screening and diagnostic exams. Our multidisciplinary team includes expert physicians, breast cancer surgeons, radiologists, imaging technicians and nurses specialized in breast health. Our focus is on helping women stay one step ahead of breast cancer through regular mammography exams up to the most advanced screenings available.We offer:
- Annual screenings
- Diagnostic mammograms
- Tomosynthesis mammography
- Diagnostic breast ultrasound
- Breast MRI Services
- Diagnostic breast ultrasound
- Stereotactic and ultrasound-guided biopsies and procedures
- Needle localization procedures
- MRI-guided biopsy
Breast surgical procedures include:
- Breast biopsy
- Mastectomy with reconstruction
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Management of high-risk patients
Cancer treatment services include:
- Chemotherapy before or after surgery
- Oncotype tumor gene testing to individualize therapies
- Radiation therapy
- Genetic testing and counseling
- Partial breast irradiation
- Anti-estrogen hormonal therapy
- Clinical trials
- Multi-disciplinary approach
- Wellness and support programs
- Risk assessment program
Learn more about other services available from North Shore Medical Center, including cardiac ablation for atrial fibrillation
or spinal stenosis treatment
with a back and spine specialist