Treatments for Hyperhidrosis
Find a range of treatments for hyperhidrosis at NSMC.
North Shore Medical Center (NSMC) provides comprehensive treatments for hyperhidrosis. Patients with hyperhidrosis experience excessive sweating usually in the armpits, palms, groin and/or soles of the feet. Hyperhidrosis tends to be benign, although it can cause considerable social distress. In some cases it can be symptomatic of more serious medical issues, including thyroid problems, nervous system disorders, low blood sugar, and more.
Thoracic surgeon James S. Allan, MD, is an expert in the treatment for hyperhidrosis. He holds joint appointments at NSMC and Massachusetts General Hospital. North Shore patients of Dr. Allan may receive treatment close to home at his Salem campus office, or they may choose to see him in Boston. His Salem number is 978.745.1581.
Treatments for hyperhidrosis at NSMC may include:
- Hyperhidrosis surgery, such as a thoracoscopic sympathectomy, where sympathetic nerve pathways that lead to the sweat glands are surgically interrupted. Other surgical treatments for hyperhidrosis include removal or destruction of the sweat glands, or lumbarsympathectomy – a relatively new procedure for excessive sweating on the soles of the feet.
- Topical treatments for hyperhidrosis, including prescription-strength antiperspirants, methenamine solution applications, or nighttime applications of aluminum chloride solutions.
- Medications taken orally, including anticholinergic drugs designed to block certain neurotransmitters in the central and peripheral nervous system.
- Tap water iontophoresis, a hyperhidrosis treatment where a weak electrical current is applied to the area to clog the pores and prevent excessive sweating.
- Counseling and/or medication to address the psychological issues that may be causing hyperhidrosis.
Find a Doctor
is another way for patients to search for physicians by specialty and/or practice location, by gender or by languages spoken.
In addition to treatments for hyperhidrosis, patients use Find a Doctor to locate breast cancer surgeons, 3d mammography services, or surgeons who practice cardiac ablation for afib.