Preparing for Your Visit
Pre-surgery assessment is the first step in ensuring that your day of surgery goes smoothly. Whether you have been scheduled for a pre-surgery assessment at NSMC Salem Hospital, NSMC Union Hospital or at Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care, please read the information below.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled visit to register.
- A nurse and/or nurse practitioner will review your medical history with you and further assess your overall health.
- A nurse and/or nurse practitioner will discuss your anesthetic plan. You will meet your anesthesiologist on the day of surgery.
- You will fill out a few forms about your health that help us ensure that you are treated effectively and safely.
- We will record your weight and height.
- We may conduct additional tests requested by your doctor.
- Please bring your eyeglasses and/or hearing aids if you need them for filling out forms or having a conversation.
Day of Surgery Guidelines
- Your surgeon’s office staff will provide you with detailed guidelines they would like you to follow as you prepare for surgery.
- Read the instructions closely as soon as you receive them. They will include critical information about what you should or should not eat or drink the day(s) before surgery. They will advise on what to bring or not bring with you to the hospital.
- Please call the office if you have a question about any of the guidelines.
- Complimentary valet parking is available at NSMC Salem Hospital
- Ample parking is available near the SurgiCenter entrance at NSMC Union Hospital
- 700 available parking spaces are available at the Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care. Look for onsite greeters, who provide parking assistance at the center's main entrance.