House Call Program
Physicians with admitting privileges to North Shore Medical Center are welcome to use our phlebotomy house call service. This service is designed to assist home-bound patients in our direct service area.
Patients will be considered homebound if they have a condition, due to an illness or injury, which:
- restricts their ability to leave their place of residence except with the aid of supportive devices such as crutches, canes, wheelchairs and walkers
- they must use special transportation, or the assistance of another person
- they have a condition in which leaving the home is medically contraindicated
- House call requests are accepted by the House Call department during the hours of 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m ., Monday through Friday, at 978.825.5334.
- Requests must be made at least two business days in advance. We ask that you please indicate on your requisition or lab order that you are requesting a house call.
- Fax an NSMC lab requisition, or your lab order, to our Phlebotomy House Call Department at 978.354.2579. Written orders only will be accepted, per Joint Commission guidelines. Complete patient demographics, insurance and diagnosis information for each test order is required.
- When scheduling a house call, please advise your patient that we are not able to provide specific times of arrival and that towns have select days for house calls.
- Standing orders will need to be renewed and signed by the physician every twelve months. Please notify the laboratory as soon as possible should your patient no longer require the house call service.
If three consecutive attempts are made to draw a patient and they are not at home, it will terminate their eligibility for this service. The Laboratory also reserves the right to stop services to any patient if they, or their family, are uncooperative, belligerent, combative or verbally abusive to the phlebotomist or Laboratory staff.