Types of pelvic pain
The following are examples of the different types of pelvic pain most commonly described by women, and their possible cause or origin. Always consult your health care provider for a diagnosis.
- Localized pain: May be due to an inflammation
- Colicky pain: May be caused by spasm in a soft organ such as the intestine, ureter or appendix
- Sudden onset of pain: May be due to inflammation of the appendix or an intestinal obstruction
- Slowly-developing pain: May be due to inflammation of the appendix or an intestinal obstruction
- Pain involving the entire abdomen: May suggest an accumulation of blood, pus or intestinal contents
- Pain aggravated by movement or during examination: May be a result of irritation in the lining of the abdominal cavity