Tips for Success
- Get rid of all the junk food in your house.
- Restock your cupboards with healthy snacks your whole family can enjoy.
- Allot time for fun and outside play.
- Use a daily schedule to ease the chaos and stress in your life. Take some activities out of your schedule or your kids' activities.
- Cut the time you and your family spend each day watching TV or using the computer.
- Spend more time doing more active things such as playing outside with the kids or going for a walk.
- Plan your social life with activities that do not include food, such as going out dancing rather than going out to dinner.
Eight Rules of Weight Loss
- Drink enough liquid, preferably water.
You should consume a minimum of one and a half to two liters of liquid each day. This can only be done slowly, sipping fluids throughout the day. On very hot or humid days, or when exercising, drink additional glasses of water to prevent dehydration.
- Eat only at meal times.
Between meals snacking or "grazing" on small amounts of food throughout the day will sabotage your weight loss and result in the inability to lose an adequate amount of weight.
- Make protein, vegetables, and fruit the base of your meals and snacks.
Choosing these foods gives optimum nutrition with fewest calories. Eating this way leaves less room for empty calories.
- Never drink liquids when eating solid foods.
Liquids should be avoided for 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after eating meals.
- Avoid foods and liquids that contain sugar or high-fructose corn syrup.
Not only will these foods slow down your weight loss, but they may make you sick. Sugar may cause "dumping syndrome" in patients who have had a gastric bypass procedure.
- Stop eating and drinking as soon as you feel full.
Listen to your body's signals. Do not look at the food that is left on your plate. Overfilling your stomach pouch will cause your pouch to stretch and may prevent weight loss, or worse, cause long-term problems and complications.
- Begin a regular exercise program.
Exercise can increase your overall weight loss by 12 percent in six months. Exercise can also help you to maintain your weight loss over time.
- Attend 1-2 monthly support group meetings every year post-surgery.
These meetings will help you stay focused and motivated and help you work through the changes that weight loss brings. These meetings are so important that NSMC's program requires you to attend two sessions prior to surgery. More on our support groups