Get a cardiac evaluation at Salem Hospital, a member of Mass General Brigham
Cardiac evaluations are critical for accurately diagnosing heart problems. Patients requiring a cardiac evaluation benefit from the state-of-the-art cardiac testing services at our Heart Center, the only comprehensive heart center with fully integrated cardiac services on the North Shore.
Cardiac evaluation services:
- Cardiac ultrasound, an evaluation to determine the size and function of the heart muscle and the valves.
- Stress tests, which measures the heart's response to an increased demand for oxygen. Stress tests track the electrical activity of the heart during walking and running.
- Tilt table, which helps diagnose why a patient may be experiencing fainting spells. The tilt table actually produces a fainting spell, or syncope, under controlled circumstances, allowing physicians to determine whether the patient has a condition known as vasovagal syncope.
- Holter and event monitors, which identify any irregular rhythms in the heart. The Holter monitor is an evaluation tool that continuously records heart rhythms over 24 hours of normal activity and rest. The event monitor performs a similar evaluation over a longer period of time.
Salem Hospital – a leading center for cardiac evaluation and care.
Our Heart Center offers fully integrated cardiac services, including evaluation and testing. Through our decades-long collaboration with Massachusetts General Hospital, another Boston area hospital, we have built a world-class interventional cardiology program. Patients requiring cardiac surgery have the procedure done at Mass General, while all other aspects of post-operative care are provided through the Heart Center, including any necessary ongoing evaluation.
In addition to cardiac exams, our comprehensive cardiac services include:
- Angioplasty – the quickest method for opening blocked arteries in patients suffering a heart attack.
- Cardiac surgery – comprehensive procedures performed by top cardio vascular surgeons at Mass General
- Catheterization – state-of-the-art evaluation, diagnostics and treatment that includes angioplasty, atherectomy, clot extraction and stenting.
- Electrophysiology – for treatment of arrhythmia.
- Heart failure care - through our top-rated Living Well with Heart Failure program.
Support following evaluation and treatment of cardiac conditions.
We provide a range of clinical programs to help patients and their families manage their recovery from cardiac surgery. These include our Living Well with Heart Failure program, which has once again received a top-performing ranking from U.S. News and World Report. Additional clinical support, including nutrition counseling and diabetes management are available.