Get a cardiac evaluation at North Shore Medical Center (NSMC)
Cardiac evaluations are critical for accurately diagnosing heart problems. Patients requiring a cardiac evaluation benefit from the state-of-the-art cardiac testing services at the NSMC Heart Center, the only comprehensive heart center with fully integrated cardiac services on the North Shore.
- Cardiac ultrasound, an evaluation to determine the size and function of the heart muscle and the valves.
- Stress tests, which measures the heart's response to an increased demand for oxygen. Stress tests track the electrical activity of the heart during walking and running.
- Tilt table, which helps diagnose why a patient may be experiencing fainting spells. The tilt table actually produces a fainting spell, or syncope, under controlled circumstances, allowing physicians to determine whether the patient has a condition known as vasovagal syncope.
- Holter and event monitors, which identify any irregular rhythms in the heart. The Holter monitor is an evaluation tool that continuously records heart rhythms over 24 hours of normal activity and rest. The event monitor performs a similar evaluation over a longer period of time.
North Shore Medical Center – a leading center for cardiac evaluation and advanced cardiac surgery.
Named one of the nation's top 100 hospitals for cardiovascular care by Thompson Reuters, the NSMC Heart Center offers fully integrated cardiac services, including evaluation, angioplasty, electrophysiology, cardiac rehabilitation, cardiovascular risk reduction, and advanced cardiac surgery. Through our strong collaboration with Massachusetts General Hospital, another Boston area hospital, we have built a world-class interventional cardiology and cardiac surgery program offering the highest level of care to North Shore patients, who can remain close to home and family during evaluation, surgery and post-operative care.
In addition to cardiac exams, our comprehensive cardiac services include:
- Angioplasty – the quickest method for opening blocked arteries in patients suffering a heart attack.
- Cardiac rehabilitation – a program of education, exercise and behavioral and nutritional counseling to complement a patient's medical and surgical care.
- Cardiac surgery – comprehensive procedures performed by top cardio vascular surgeons
- Cardiovascular risk reduction – a 13-week program to educate and motivate patients to make choices that will stop the development or progression of heart disease.
- Catheterization – state-of-the-art evaluation, diagnostics and treatment that includes angioplasty, atherectomy, clot extraction and stenting.
- Electrophysiology – for treatment of arrhythmia.
Support, education and wellness classes following evaluation and treatment of cardiac conditions.
Patients with heart disease and patients recovering from cardiac surgery require extensive support. NSMC offers a variety of support resources for both patients and their families, including programs for living well with heart failure, smoking cessation and diabetes management.
about cardiac evaluation and treatment at NSMC.
To find out about all NSMC physicians, including internal medicine specialists
and family practice doctors
, please use our find a doctor service