Find a world-class cardiothoracic surgeon at North Shore Medical Center.
North Shore Medical Center (NSMC) is the largest healthcare provider on the North Shore. NSMC patients benefit by being able to see an exceptional cardiothoracic surgeon close to home. Cardiothoracic surgeons in NSMC’s Heart Center treat a wide variety of cardiothoracic conditions affecting the heart, lungs and chest wall.
NSMC cardiothoracic surgeons hold joint appointments at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) and NSMC, and collaborate closely with MGH specialists.
Procedures performed by a cardiothoracic surgeon at NSMC
- Surgery to repair valves or to replace damaged or diseased valves with mechanical or bioprosthetic valves
- Coronary artery bypass surgery and bypass grafting, including endoscopic vein/artery harvesting, off-pump/beating heart surgery, and arterial grafts
- Maze procedures and other surgeries for atrial fibrillation
- Surgery to repair aneurysms
- Operations to address heart failure or trauma to the heart and/or great vessels
- Surgery to repair congenital defects in the heart
- Resection of cardiac tumors
An NSMC cardiothoracic surgeon treats a variety of thoracic conditions, including:
- Thoracic trauma
- Esophageal cancer and benign esophageal diseases
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Lung cancer surgery
- Pleural diseases and respiratory failure
- Thoracic cysts removal
- Mediastinal tumors removal
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Repair of congenital anomalies of the chest
- Thoracic outlet syndrome surgery
- Biopsy or removal of chest wall tumors
- Treatment for hyperhidrosis
A cardiothoracic surgeon may recommend minimally invasive surgery.
Many cardiothoracic conditions can be treated with minimally invasive techniques. Because these procedures involve small incisions and do not require the chest to be opened, patients experience a much shorter recovery time, less pain, have shorter hospital stays and a reduced chance of infection and complications. A cardiothoracic surgeon may use minimally invasive techniques to diagnose infections and tumors, conduct biopsies, repair heart valves, perform esophageal surgery, treat collapsed lungs, provide thoracic outlet syndrome treatment, perform cardiac ablation, and perform coronary artery bypasses.