Find top-notch cardiothoracic surgeons on the North Shore.
Patients needing cardiothoracic surgery will find exceptional cardiothoracic surgeons at North Shore Medical Center (NSMC). With multiple hospitals, physicians’ offices and urgent care sites, NSMC is the largest healthcare provider on the North Shore. Our cardiothoracic surgeons provide comprehensive care for patients through the NSMC Heart Center, and work closely with cardiothoracic surgeons at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston in clinical collaborations.
NSMC cardiothoracic surgeons perform the following procedures:
- Lung cancer surgery – Our surgeons work with medical and radiation oncology specialists at the Mass General/North Shore Cancer Center.
- Thoracic outlet syndrome surgery
- Surgery to treat esophageal cancer and benign esophageal diseases
- Surgery for respiratory failure and pleural diseases
- Treatment for chest wall tumors, thoracic cysts, mediastinal tumors, and congenital anomalies of the chest
- Treatments for thoracic trauma
- Surgery for gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Hyperhidrosis treatment
Additional procedures our cardiothoracic surgeons perform include:
- Surgery to repair aneurysms, including aortic replacement/repair and ventricular aneurysm repair
- Coronary artery bypass surgery and grafting, including arterial grafts, off-pump/beating heart surgery, endoscopic vein/artery harvesting
- Maze procedures to treat atrial fibrillation
- Operations for heart failure and for trauma to the heart and/or great vessels
- Repair of congenital heart defects
- Resection of cardiac tumors
- Cardiac valve surgery
- Valve repair/replacement
Minimally invasive surgeries performed by cardiothoracic surgeons.
Some NSMC patients may be eligible for video assisted thoracic surgery (VATS), a minimally invasive cardiothoracic procedure where doctors use very small incisions to access the inside of the chest cavity. VATS is often used to perform biopsies, diagnose infections or tumors, perform esophageal surgery, repair hiatal hernias, treat repeatedly collapsed lungs, and to treat a variety of other conditions. Cardiothoracic surgeons also use minimally invasive techniques to repair valves, perform cardiac ablation for atrial fibrillation, perform coronary artery bypass procedures, and repair congenital defects.
To find a cardiothoracic surgeon
, patients may use nsmcphysicians.partners.org
. Patients can find bariatric surgeons who perform gastric sleeve weight loss
surgery in Danvers, for example, or a practice in Salem where a patient can discuss thoracic outlet syndrome treatment
with a thoracic surgeon.