Lung Cancer Screening
How to save a life: Former smoker preaches importance of lung cancer screening
Thanks to a CT scan performed at NSMC Union Hospital, former smoker Maryanne Sheckman of Swampscott caught her lung cancer early and lived to tell the tale.
- NSMC Salem Hospital (directions)
- Appointments by physician referral only
Criteria for a Lung Cancer Screening
- Must be between the ages of 55 and 77*
- Must be a current smoker or have quit in the past 15 years
- Must be a 30-plus pack year smoker (number of years as a smoker multiplied by number of packs per day)
- Able to undergo curative treatment
- Asymptomatic (no signs or symptoms of lung cancer)
Pulmonary Nodule Navigator
NSMC's Pulmonary Nodule Navigator, Amie Samuylov, R.T.R., C.T., (OPN-CG) assists patients who are eligible for the Low Dose CT Lung Cancer Screening Program. Samuylov has clinical expertise in lung cancer diagnoses. She is available to explain the CT scan screening process and the next steps if follow-up testing is needed.