Our ACGME-accredited Internal Medicine Residency Program provides high quality, personalized training for 18 categorical Internal Medicine residents and four preliminary year interns each year. The small size of our program allows for an intimate and supportive atmosphere.
Our residents learn the entire spectrum of Internal Medicine, from taking care of patients in the continuity clinic on a longitudinal basis, to acute medicine on the inpatient floors, to providing clinical care in our new state of art Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Since 2011 we have been affiliated with the Partners Neurology Training Program, enabling us to take up to two preliminary interns, who complete their training at Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
Teaching Opportunity and Careers
NSMC residents have the opportunity to teach medical students with an academic appointment through Tufts University School of Medicine. Learn more about teaching opportunities >
Our residents go on to a variety of careers, including primary care physician, hospitalist, or other specialty. We regularly make innovations to our training program and our residents participate in the ongoing process of improvement.
- Provide a nurturing training environment that fosters the development of highly competent, clinically astute, evidence-based and humane physicians
- Emphasis on comprehensive, patient-centered care that requires a lifetime commitment to learning
- Equal emphasis on the inpatient and outpatient components of Internal Medicine
- Commitment to the North Shore community and to the overall health of the public.
- Exposure to a culturally and economically diverse patient population
- Overarching goal to train well-rounded physicians