North Shore Medical Center (NSMC) provides the latest diagnostic and treatment options to manage irregular heart rhythm conditions, also known as arrhythmias. The full spectrum of arrhythmia care is offered, including head up tilt-table testing, comprehensive electrophysiology studies and implantable defibrillator and pacemaker implantation. Our pacemaker/ICD clinic is the most comprehensive of its kind on the North Shore.
Finding her Rhythm
For more than a decade, Nicole Smith, 33, of Lynn suffered from what she thought were panic attacks. At least once a month, without any advance warning, her heart would race uncontrollably for short bursts of time—usually just a few minutes—leaving her a bit dizzy and lightheaded when it stopped. watch video
Cardiac Electrophysiology Program
Our cardiac electrophysiologists evaluate and treat the full range of rhythm disturbances including rapid and slow heart rates, palpitations (skipped or extra beats), lightheaded spells and blackout spells. Most patients can be treated medically for these conditions. When necessary, they provide a full range of invasive electrophysiology testing and treatments, including ablation therapy, which can permanently cure some rapid rhythms.
Cardiac Electrophysiology Treatments and Procedures
- Ablation takes place at Massachusetts General Hospital
- Antiarrhythmic medication therapy
- Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy (CRT) or also known as Bi-ventricular pacemaker implant and or ICD placement
- Defibrillator or Pacemaker Surgery*
- Electrophysiology Study (EPS)
- Head-up-tilt-table testing
- Implantable loop recorders
- Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD) placement
- Non-invasive Programmed Stimulation
- Single and dual chamber permanent pacemaker implants
*If you are scheduled to have a defibrillator implant, please read preparing for your visit.