Preparing for Your Surgery
Pre-surgery assessment is the first step in ensuring that your day of surgery goes smoothly. Whether you have been scheduled for a pre-surgery assessment at NSMC Salem Hospital, NSMC Union Hospital or at Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care, please read the information below.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled visit to register.
- A nurse and/or nurse practitioner will review your medical history with you and further assess your overall health.
- A nurse and/or nurse practitioner will discuss your anesthetic plan. You will meet your anesthesiologist on the day of surgery.
- You will fill out a few forms about your health that help us ensure that you are treated effectively and safely.
- We will record your weight and height.
- We may conduct additional tests requested by your doctor.
- Please bring your eyeglasses and/or hearing aids if you need them for filling out forms or having a conversation.
Day of Surgery Guidelines
Here are general day of surgery guidelines to help you plan in advance. Please review with your surgeon’s office staff any particular or additional guidelines they would like you to follow.
- Do not eat solid food (including gum and candy) and do not drink alcohol after midnight the night before your surgery.
- You may drink water, apple juice, black coffee or black tea up to 4 hours before surgery, unless otherwise instructed by your surgeon.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing. Bring your glasses, dentures, hearing aids and storage cases. You will not be able to wear contact lenses during surgery.
- Do not wear make up, nail polish, hair spray, body lotion, perfume or deodorant.
- Remove all jewelry (including wedding rings, earrings, and any body piercings). Leave all valuables at home.
- If you use a CPAP machine, bring it with you to the hospital.
- If you need to use crutches following your surgery and own a pair, please bring them with you.
- Bring a copy of your Health Care Proxy or Living Will if you have one.
- Bring only one family member or friend on the day of surgery (please try to avoid bringing a child below the age of 16). Your family member or friend will be given instructions about where to wait during your surgery.
- We will ask you to identify who will drive you home after surgery. If you cannot identify who will drive you home, your surgery will have to be rescheduled. You may not go home in a taxi, unless accompanied by a reliable adult.
- If you are under 18 years of age, you must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- If your insurance requires a co-payment, please remember to bring payment on the day of surgery.
- Complimentary valet parking is available at NSMC Salem Hospital
- Ample parking is available near the SurgiCenter entrance at NSMC Union Hospital
- 700 available parking spaces are available at the Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care. Look for onsite greeters, who provide parking assistance at the center's main entrance.