Preparing for Your Surgery
Construction to improve our Salem campus entrance
Construction to improve the NSMC Salem Hospital’s main visitor entrance (Davenport 4) and parking area adjacent to Highland Avenue will begin on April 29, 2019, and will last approximately eight months. Surgical patients can be dropped off at the Wheelock 5 entrance during this time. Staff and valet parking attendants will be available to assist patients and their families. Learn more
Pre-surgery Assessment: What to Expect
Pre-surgery assessment is the first step in ensuring that your day of surgery goes smoothly.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled visit to register.
- A nurse will review your medical history with you and further assess your overall health.
- A nurse will discuss your anesthetic plan. You will meet your anesthesiologist on the day of surgery.
- You will fill out a few forms about your health that help us ensure that you are treated effectively and safely.
- We will record your weight and height and we may conduct additional tests requested by your doctor.
- Please bring your eyeglasses and/or hearing aids if you need them for filling out forms or having a conversation.
Day of Surgery Guidelines
Below are some general day of surgery guidelines to help you plan in advance.
Your physician’s office will instruct you on where to register the day of your surgery.
- Do not eat solid food (including gum and candy) and do not drink alcohol after midnight the night before your surgery.
- You may drink water, apple juice, black coffee or black tea up to 4 hours before surgery, unless otherwise instructed by your surgeon.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing. Bring your glasses, dentures, hearing aids and storage cases. You will not be able to wear contact lenses during surgery.
- Do not wear make up, nail polish, hair spray, body lotion, perfume or deodorant.
- Remove all jewelry (including wedding rings, earrings, and any body piercings). Leave all valuables at home.
- If you use a CPAP machine, bring it with you to the hospital.
- If you need to use crutches following your surgery and own a pair, please bring them with you.
- Bring a copy of your Health Care Proxy or Living Will if you have one.
- Bring only one family member or friend on the day of surgery (please try to avoid bringing a child below the age of 16). Your family member or friend will be given instructions about where to wait during your surgery.
- We will ask you to identify who will drive you home after surgery. If you cannot identify who will drive you home, your surgery will have to be rescheduled. You may not go home in a taxi, unless accompanied by a reliable adult.
- If you are under 18 years of age, you must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- If your insurance requires a co-payment, please remember to bring payment on the day of surgery.
- See parking and new entrance information at the top of this page
- Complimentary valet parking is available at NSMC Salem Hospital
- 700 available parking spaces at Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care.