Treatment for pelvic pain
Specific treatment for pelvic pain will be determined by your health care provider and may include the following factors:
- Your overall health and medical history
- Extent of condition
- Cause of the condition
- Your tolerance for specific medications, procedures or therapies
- Expectations for the course of the condition
- Your opinion or preference
- Treatment may include:
- Antibiotic medications
- Anti-inflammatory and/or pain medications
- Relaxation exercises
- Oral contraceptives (ovulation inhibitors)
- Physical therapy
If a physical cause cannot be found, pelvic pain may be diagnosed as a psychological defense or coping mechanism for some type of trauma.
In some cases, psychotherapy is recommended. In other cases, health care providers may recommend a multidisciplinary treatment utilizing a number of different approaches, including nutritional modifications, environmental changes, physical therapy, and pain management.