Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is one of the most accurate ways to examine the soft tissue areas of the body. It is safe and painless and uses no ionizing radiation (X-rays).Instead it combines computer technology with magnetism and radio waves to create multiple pictures of the inside of the body. North Shore Medical Center offers magnetic imaging with both 1. 5T and 3.0T MRI scanners. Our 3.0T MRI scanner has the largest opening available for a high-field MRI scanner. It is comfortable for patients who may experience claustrophobia or anxiety, and can accommodate patients up to 550 pounds.
The strong magnetic field of the MRI can adversely affect some conditions or implanted prosthetic devices. Our staff screens for these conditions and devices several times during the intake process. Please be patient if several people ask you the same questions. This screening procedure is for your safety.
Please notify us if you have any of the following:
- Surgical aneurysm clip of the brain
- Cochlear (middle ear) implant
- Metal fragments (including bullets and shrapnel) Implanted insulin pump
- Metal particles or chips in your eye
- Retinal tacks
- Any other magnetically activated biomedical device, such as a defibrillator or eyeimplant
- Women who are pregnant should inform the technologist of their condition