- Visiting hours are 11 - 8 p.m., unless noted otherwise (see specialty units)
- People with colds, sore throats or any contagious diseases should not visit patients.
- Children must be 12 years old and those under 16 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- Visitors may not smoke or use tobacco anywhere in the hospital or on its grounds.
- No more than two visitors are allowed at the bedside at one time.
- Visitors in semi-private rooms should be considerate of all patients in the room.
- Visitors should maintain a quiet environment and avoid unnecessary noise.
- Visitors may be asked to leave the room during tests or treatments or when the doctor or nurse needs to see the patient.
- For the benefit of the patient, visits may be restricted or shortened if deemed necessary by the nursing staff.
Because of privacy regulations, NSMC can only provide a one-word description of a patient’s condition (good, fair, serious or critical) to callers. Patients may designate one spokesperson for telephone communication and more detailed condition updates. For more details about our patient information policy, click here.
Visiting Hours for Specialty Care Units
Intensive Care Unit (ICU) (NSMC Salem and Union Hospitals) and Cardiac Surgery (NSMC Salem Hospital)
- Visits are permitted 24 hours a day for immediate family or designated visitors.
- Please limit visits to five to 10 minutes each hour.
- Children younger than 13 are not normally permitted to visit although special arrangements can be made on a case-by case basis.
- Hospital doors are locked at 8:00 p.m. To enter after hours, please use the Emergency Department entrance and then contact nurse’s station to let them know their patient has person coming in for a visit.
NSMC Birthplace (NSMC Salem Hospital)
- Visiting hours at the Birthplace are 2 - 8 p.m.
- Fathers or partners, grandparents and siblings of newborns may visit at any time.
- Please check with new mothers and parents before stopping by and please limit to two visitors during the labor and delivery.
NSMC Mental Health Unit (NSMC Salem Hospital)
- Visiting hours are 6:15 - 8 p.m., Monday through Friday; and 1 - 3 p.m. and 6:15 - 8 p.m. on weekends and holidays.
NSMC Geriatric Psychiatric Unit (NSMC Union Hospital)
- Visitors are permitted and welcome between 2 - 4 p.m. and between 6 - 8 p.m.
Pediatric Psychiatric Unit (NSMC Union Hospital)
- Visiting hours are 5 - 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and noon - 5 p.m. on weekends and holidays.
MassGeneral for Children at North Shore Medical Center
- Visiting hours are 9 - 8 p.m.
- Parents or guardians may visit their child at any time and arrangements can be made for one parent to stay overnight in the child’s room.
- Hospital doors are locked at 8 p.m. To enter after hours, please use the Emergency Department entrance.