Visitors can be good medicine, but rest and recovery is our primary concern for our patients. Visitors are asked to please check with the nursing staff on the unit floor for complete information. Our patient privacy and confidentiality policy is here.
General Visiting Hours 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- People with colds, sore throats or any contagious diseases should not visit patients.
- Children must be 12 years old and those under 16 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- Visitors may not smoke or use tobacco anywhere in the hospital or on its grounds.
- No more than two visitors are allowed at the bedside at one time.
- Visitors in semi-private rooms should be considerate of all patients in the room.
- Visitors should maintain a quiet environment and avoid unnecessary noise.
- Visitors may be asked to leave the room during tests or treatments or when the doctor or nurse needs to see the patient.
- For the benefit of the patient, visits may be restricted or shortened if deemed necessary by the nursing staff.
Intensive Care Units and Cardiac Surgery
- Visits are permitted 24 hours a day for immediate family or designated visitors.
- Please limit visits to five to 10 minutes each hour.
- Children younger than 13 are not normally permitted to visit although special arrangements can be made on a case-by case basis.
- Hospital doors are locked at 8:00 p.m. To enter after hours, please use the Emergency Department entrance and then contact nurse’s station to let them know their patient has person coming in for a visit.
NSMC Birthplace and Special Care Nursery
- 2 visitors permitted in the Labor Room
- 2 visitors at a time in the Special Care Nursery
- Spouses, partners, grandparents and siblings of newborns may visit at any time.
- 2 - 8 p.m. are visiting hours for those who are not immediate family
- All visitors will be health screened for the protection of mothers and infants
- Please check with new mothers and parents before stopping by
- No visitors under 18 except siblings of the patient
Adult Psychiatry Service (NSMC Salem Hospital)
- 6:15 - 8 p.m., 7 days a week
- 1 - 3 p.m. on weekends and holidays
Geriatric Psychiatry Service (NSMC Union Hospital)
- 2 - 3:30 p.m. and 6 - 7 p.m., 7 days a week
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Service (NSMC Union Hospital)
- 5 - 7 p.m. weekdays
- 12 noon - 5 p.m. on weekends and holidays
MassGeneral for Children at North Shore Medical Center
- 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Parents or guardians may visit their child at any time and arrangements can be made for one parent to stay overnight in the child’s room.
- Hospital doors are locked at 8 p.m. To enter after hours, please use the Emergency Department entrance.