Referral and assessment
Referrals can either be directed to either the Multidisciplinary Evaluation Clinic (MDEC) or the Neurodevelopmental Clinic.
All patients or their guardians are asked to fill out an intake form to begin the process.
The information in the form is reviewed to determine if a multidisciplinary evaluation would be beneficial. If so, the parent or guardian is contacted and an initial diagnostic interview is scheduled with a neuropsychologist and a nurse practitioner from the MDEC team.
- An audiology evaluation is also usually conducted with the child during this initial interview.
- This initial interview will determine which disciplines should be included in the evaluation.
- If insurance pre-authorization is necessary (which is often the case), the neuropsychologist will complete the necessary forms after the interview.
- Multidisciplinary evaluations are typically conducted over the course of two days.
- The team meets to discuss the evaluations the week after they are completed.
- A feedback meeting will be scheduled with the neuropsychologist, where you will review the results of the various assessments and the recommendations of the team.
- A written report will be mailed to the parent or guardian after this meeting.
Request a multidisciplinary evaluation
What to expect during the team meeting
During your initial appointment you will meet with a neuropsychologist to determine the testing needs of your child. Testing may be performed by physical or occupational therapists, a neurologist or neuropsychologist, or a child behavioral health specialist.
After your initial appointment our team will meet with you to review results of all testing and discuss recommendations developed by the team. Our nurse practitioner serves as case manager and communicates with referral sources or schools as needed.
Each of our experts' evaluation will focus on a different functional area of your child. Our goal is to present an integrated picture of a child or adolescent's physical, educational, developmental, and psychological needs. Collaboration between the evaluation team and the parents, school personnel, and the referral source is part of every evaluation.